Since January 1, 1919 Armor Bank has been serving the community of Forrest City and the surrounding area. The members of the first board of directors were forward-looking individuals with a desire to help people in the Forrest City area to become home owners. They felt that people who owned their homes would be better citizens and taxpayers, with a real stake in the growth of the community. Through the years the Bank has been steadfast in its commitment to the community and its customers.
Today the Bank continues to look forward, with the announcement of new ownership when Big Creek Bancshares, Inc. acquired Forrest City Financial Corporation, the parent company of Forrest City Bank, in December of 2016. In March of 2017 the Forrest City Bank officially changed its name to Armor Bank. With those changes, the Bank pledges to continue to be Forrest City’s bank and to be the same civic and community minded bank that Forrest City Bank has been for over 98 years.
The Armor Bank name and logo symbolizes the Bank’s commitment to provide strength and stability for the future and the Bank’s positioning statement, “Always Ready” is a statement of the Bank’s willingness to always meet the financial needs of their customers and remain an active supporter of the community.
Here are a few of the historical highlights about Armor Bank (formerly Forrest City Bank):
- The Forrest City Building and Loan Association was chartered in 1919 by the State of Arkansas, and at the end of the first year had modest assets of only $12,450.00.
- Mr. S. L. Kirkpatrick was the first president, and attorney C. W. Norton, Sr. was the first secretary and managing officer. The bank resided in the offices of Mr. Norton.
- The Great Depression caused financial hardship for the association and assets shrunk to $140 thousand.
- In 1963 the association moved to East Broadway and construction was started on a building for the association at 106 North Izard and Forrest City Savings and Loan moved into that location in 1964. The association had grown to over $3,000,000 in assets by that time.
- The Savings and Loan grew at a steady rate over the next several years. In 1974 the asset growth had reached $9,144,000. By 1984 the assets were $26,412,000.
- In 1984 the association purchased a building site at 715 North Washington. The construction of a new colonial-type building was begun in March, 1985, and the grand opening of the new and present home was held December 5, 1985.
- In 1994, the association converted to a stock company, and in 1995 the name was changed to Forrest City Bank to show that our services included more areas of banking. The Forrest City Bank, now a national association, had grown to approximately $50 million in assets.
- The Food Giant Branch of the bank was opened in April of 1998 and relocated to the Express Bank in September of 2008 offering drive thru service.
- Today, Armor Bank, has approximately $53 million in total assets.
“Always Ready”, Armor Bank is looking to the future to provide its customers the latest in technology and security, and the best personal service community banking has to offer.